Program Goals for Preschoolers
Our programming for preschoolers strives to:
- Provide a nurturing, relaxed environment with caring adults where concepts of self are enhanced, independence encouraged, free-choice decisions offered, social skills acquired, and individuality respected among children.
- Provide children with opportunities to gain competence over a variety of skills in areas that increase interest and control over their environment.
- Provide children with opportunities to gain competence over a variety of skills and in areas that increase interest and control over their environment.
- Provide for the physical well being of every child.
- Provide opportunities for children to develop large motor skills and coordination through physically active play.
- Develop in children curiosity for and an enthusiasm about the world in which they live.
- Help children develop self-discipline in an environment where they understand limits and expectations.
- Develop in children an appreciation for beauty and nature.
- Create a classroom atmosphere that promotes respect for others and for materials.
Our diverse programming also incorporates:
Language and the introduction of letters. A new letter will be introduced weekly.
The introduction of spatial vocabulary such as “over,” “under,” “through.”
The development of gross motor skills: running, jumping, throwing, tumbling, climbing, swinging, body action songs, hopping, and outdoor play.
Math: recognizing numbers, counting items, matching, sorting.
Self-help: encourage children to do things on their own; nurture hand-eye coordination and actions that include zipping, snapping, buckling, pouring, wiping, and washing hands.
Social and emotional: table games involving sharing and communication, the development of patience and a capacity to wait one’s turn, respect for one another and for teachers, and the use of polite phrases such as “please” and “thank you.”
Art: primary colors, cutting, pasting, chalk, easel painting, finger painting, gluing, tracing, ceramics.
Manipulative: puzzles, beads, sorting, pegs and board, table blocks, stacking cylinders, texture boards, sand and water table, matching texture, color fabric.
To make an appointment for a walk through, call HBS at 617-547-5554 and make an appointment with Jewel Russell or Emma Jeune, or send email to
Expect a response within 24 business hours.